Dimethyl sulfoxide or DMSO is effective in treating cancer in humans. It can cause cancerous cells to become noncancerous, or benign, and can slow or stop the progress of cancer in the bladder, colon, ovary,breast, and skin.
it is useful in treating leukemia, and it has also been used as a part of some metabolic cancer therapies.
Some people have promoted DMSO as preventing cancer. It works by “cleaning” cell membranes and decreasing the effect of cancer-causing substances.
What DMSO Does
DMSO tends to build up white blood cells and increase immune production of MIF (migration inhibitory factors) of macrophages. Thus, the immune system is made more effective by allowing macrophages to move more quickly. Thus DMSO modulates lymphocytes, and it therefore reactivates the production of MIF. It also diminishes allergic reactions by unfolding the cell membrane and making more cell receptor sites available to attachment by specific antigens.
The modulating effect of DMSO on lymphocytes also tends to increase the production of lymphokines (chemical immune cell mediators) such as interferon. It potentiates cell mediated immunity and can be effective in multiple sclerosis, systemic lupus, erythematosus, rheumatoid arthritis, thyroiditis, ulcerative colitis, cancer, etc.
This is not a drug in the usual sense, since a drug treats disease symptoms. DMSO treats altered cellular function or damaged cells. The cells become healed and restored by changing and stabilizing the “water structure” within the cell. It exerts its effects on biological systems by changing the liquid structure of water. Therefore, changes occur in protein and other molecules.
Major Property of DMSO
- It stimulates the immune system.
- It is anti-inflammatory.
- It stimulates wound healing.
- It is anti bacterial, fungal and viral.
- It blocks pain by interrupting conduction in the small c-fibers, the non-myelinating nerve fibers.
- It effects cardiac contractility by inhibiting calcium to reduce the workload of the heart.
- It is a vasodilator, probably related to histamine release in the cells and to prostaglandin inhibition. 8.It softens collagen.
- It is a scavenger of the hydroxyl free radical.